Published: Sat, December 08, 2018
Medical | By Johnnie Horton

Neti pot Seattle death: Doctors issue warning after brain infection ki

Neti pot Seattle death: Doctors issue warning after brain infection ki

"For all intents and purposes, it looked like a tumor", said senior case report author Dr. Charles Cobbs, a neurosurgeon at the Swedish Medical Center in Seattle.

Cobbs: "This is an extraordinarily unusual disease that has only been reported a few hundred times in the world".

A Swedish Medical Center report on the woman's death says there are about 200 cases worldwide of this particular amoebic infection.

Over the next several days, additional scans revealed that whatever was happening in her brain was getting worse.

After she died, doctors determined the specific infection had been caused by an amoeba called Balamuthia mandrillaris.

'I think she was using (tap) water that had been through a water filter and had been doing that for about a year previously'.

When Cobbs first operated on her, he discovered a tumor the size of a dime. It was sent to a lab at the prestigious Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, where a scientists said he suspected an amoeba infection.

The woman's condition quickly deteriorated.

"According to the doctors who treated the woman, the non-sterile water that she used it thought to have contained Balamuthia mandrillaris, ï"¿an amoeba that over the course of weeks to months can cause a very rare and nearly always fatal infection in the brain.

Rocket carrying turkey, fruitcake heads to International Space Station
Falcon 9 rocket first stage booster experiencing control problems and missing a landing zone at Cape Canaveral, Fla . Unfortunately, SpaceX suffered a malfunction when a grin fin hydraulic pump stalled and Falcone landed out to sea.

'We didn't have any clue what was going on, but when we got the actual tissue, we could see it was the amoeba'.

A Seattle woman died after becoming infected with a brain-eating amoeba.

"There have been 34 reported infections in the U.S.in the 10 years from 2008 to 2017, despite millions of recreational water exposures each year", according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The woman had been prescribed a neti pot to flush out her nasal cavity because she had a sinus infection, per a case report published in International Journal of Infectious Diseases.

Even though such infections are very rare, there were three similar USA cases from 2008 to 2017.

In order to prevent any risk of infection, people should always read the instructions on a neti pot and only use saline or sterile water. It appears that this woman became infected with the amoeba through flushing of her sinuses with the tap water. Since 1993, the CDC says, there have been at least 70 cases in the United States.

"We believe that she was using a device to irrigate her sinuses that some people use called a neti pot".

"She had not been boiling water, using sterile water or using sterile saline". Although extremely rare, B. mandrillari is deadly, with nearly 90 percent of cases of infection resulting in death.

Like this: