Published: Fri, September 21, 2018
Entertaiment | By Mabel Barber

Too much Star Wars? Disney CEO says will slow down releases

Too much Star Wars? Disney CEO says will slow down releases

Disney had received considerable criticism after the disappointing box-office performance of Solo: A Star Wars Story, the second of the "anthology" spinoffs created to run alongside the core main "Episode" narratives and to alternate with them in the release schedules.

"'Star Wars' became a global phenomenon, of course, as a rare and infrequently-served delicacy", said Robert Thompson, a professor of pop culture at Syracuse University.

Iger's comments to The Hollywood Reporter in an interview published on Thursday come on the back of the disappointing box office take earlier this year of Solo: A Star Wars Story of US$400 million (S$540 million) worldwide. Iger responded to the statement by saying, "We have to be careful we don't let people drink and then go on Autopia". (Laughs.) I am a big believer in tradition.

Disney CEO Bob Iger admitted that at least one mistake was made in regards to Disney's Star Wars franchise.

Iger continued: "You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn't mean we're not gonna make films".

The next Star Wars movie in the works is The Force Awakens director J.J. Abrams' is busy making Episode IX, which is now shooting in the United Kingdom with plans to be in theaters in December 2019.

Granny Head-Shots 12-Foot Gator for Eating Her Horse
Judy Cochran, a great-grandmother and mayor of a small town in Texas, finally got her gator. The body of the alligator is at a taxidermist, where it will be made into boots.

"I would say there is a blend of my helping to make the decision to my supporting the decisions that have been made. And the buck stops here on that".

After the lackluster performance of the latest installment in the wildly popular "Star Wars" saga, Disney is tapping the brakes on the franchise - an acknowledgment that there can be too much of a good thing. I'm not suggesting that's one of them.

While the figure is nothing to be sniffed at, by Star Wars standards it was a disappointment for the franchise; the other standalone - Rogue One - crossed the $1billion mark by the time it finished its cinematic run.

Surely the bad seeds in Star Wars fandom who keep putting forth the rumor that Rian Johnson's new developing Star Wars trilogy has been canceled will use that quote to their advantage since only the new series from David Benioff and D.B. Weiss is mentioned by name.

When screenwriter Michael Arndt departed Star Wars: The Force Awakens after working on the script for eight months, Abrams and producer Kathleen Kennedy reportedly lobbied Iger to push the release date of the film back from 2015 to 2016. In the meantime, you can read the rest of the interview with Bob Iger at The Hollywood Reporter.

Like this: