Published: Thu, August 09, 2018
People | By Leon Thompson

Hamas threatens Israel after two fighters killed

Hamas threatens Israel after two fighters killed

At least two Palestinians were killed on Tuesday when the Israeli army shelled a site affiliated with Hamas in the northern Gaza Strip, the Palestinian Health Ministry said in a statement.

In a statement, the Israeli army said "terrorists" had opened fire on its soldiers "near a Hamas position in the northern Gaza Strip".

Smoke rises following an Israeli attack on the Gaza Strip as it seen from the Israeli side of the border, May 29, 2018.

The military exchange occurred as reports that Israel and Hamas would commit to a cease-fire agreement.

Saudi Arabia market closure adds to growers' woes
Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland said Monday she "looks forward" to hearing from Riyadh about the future of the deal. Badawi was arrested at the end of July along with fellow Saudi women's rights activist Nassima al Sada.

The Islamist group's military wing, the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, confirmed in a statement that the dead men were its fighters, naming them as Ahmed Murjan and Abdel-Hafez al-Silawi.

Two months after its construction began, earlier this week, Israel's Ministry of Defense released first footage of the sea barrier it is building along the country's border with Gaza.

About 158 Palestinians have been killed and more than 17,000 others injured by Israeli gunfire during the rallies, which take place every Friday. Sources said that Hamas is unwilling to enter into any negotiations or provide any information about the Israeli soldiers detained, agreeing only to a prisoner exchange in return for the freeing of prisoners rearrested after the Gilad Shalit deal in 2011.

The cross-border incident came after a delegation of senior Hamas officials visited Gaza to discuss a ceasefire agreement with Israel proposed by the United Nations and Egypt.

Like this: