Published: Tue, July 10, 2018
Sport | By Cameron Gross

Eight boys rescued from Thai cave recovering — Sunglasses and chocolates

Eight boys rescued from Thai cave recovering — Sunglasses and chocolates

The boys were carried out on a stretcher on Tuesday, making them the first two to come out on the rescue's third day.

A Thai public health official says the eight boys rescued from a flooded cave in northern Thailand are in "high spirits" and have strong immune systems because they are soccer players.

They're now recovering in hospital and are said to be "healthy".

As the minutes stretched into hours under the hot sun in this corner of north-western Thailand bordering Myanmar, hopes were rising that news of a third successful rescue by the so-called "all-star" team of Thai and worldwide divers - which included as many as eight Australians in support roles - was imminent.

The Guardian reported on Tuesday afternoon local time that a ninth and 10th boy had been pulled from the cave. A fresh operation to save the remaining five people was launched on Tuesday.

"Today is 10 July". "But we'll look forward to celebrating the success".

The eight boys who've been rescued so far have all swum out of the cave, each escorted by two expert divers.

The first 4 boys who were rescued the other day, aged between 12 and 16, are now allowed to eat normal food once again.

An emergency team rushes to a helicopter believed to be carrying one of the rescued boys from the flooded cave.

The boys are expected to remain hospitalized for at least a week, meaning they won't be able to take up FIFA's invitation to attend the World Cup final in Russian Federation. They were also able to talk on the phone.

The boys had asked for chocolate and bread, both of which the hospital had provided, he said.

The second group freed on Monday were aged 12 to 14. This seems less likely now given the need for the boys to undergo further tests.

Jeremy Hunt replaces Boris Johnson amid Brexit turmoil
In other Cabinet reshuffles, Jeremy Wright has been appointed culture secretary, and the new attorney general will be Geoffrey Cox.

Called "cave sickness", the disease is the result of contact with droppings from rodents like bats and rats. "It is made of rocket parts & named Wild Boar after kids" soccer team.

"This is the hardest mission we've ever done. Secondly, the stones are razor sharp which is risky for our diving, (and) thirdly the passage is very narrow", he said.

"I am not sure about children and how they will react".

"They are getting forced to do something that no kid has ever done before". Will they be sick? "The equipment they brought to help us is not practical with our mission", the publication also quoted him as saying.

The divers told CNN that they can't wait for the moment when they know all of the boys are out.

They had been stranded there since June 23 when heavy rain and rising waters left them trapped. No boys would be discharged for at least seven days.

Osotthanakorn said Monday night that it would take 20 hours to prepare for the operation, but he cautioned timings could change depending on weather and water levels.

Earlier, rescue operation commander Narongsak Osottanakorn said the mission began soon after 10am, involving 19 divers.

Two boys and their 25-year-old coach remain in the cave. "Two of them showed irregularities in their lungs".

"Doctors have treated the boys and now all of them are OK and cheerful".

Thai soldiers stand guard outside the Tham Luang cave area as rescue operations continue for those still trapped inside the cave in Khun Nam Nang Non Forest Park in the Mae Sai district.

Like this: