Published: Tue, June 12, 2018
People | By Leon Thompson

41 killed in Afghan violence

41 killed in Afghan violence

On Saturday, the Taliban outfit announced a three-day ceasefire with the Afghan government during Eid al-Fitr religious festival holidays.

Ghani said the ceasefire would not prevent the security forces from carrying out their operations against the Daesh terror group.

Elsewhere in Ghazni, at least three local police and 10 Taliban fighters were killed in clashes, Noori said.

"Our operations will continue against them, we will attack them wherever we see them", it said.

In three provinces, more than 50 members of the Afghan security forces and progovernment militias were killed overnight Friday, The New York Times reported, citing government officials.

Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan have killed as many as 65 government soldiers and police officers in three attacks.

In late February, Ghani also offered the Taliban a chance to be recognized as a legitimate political party and withdraw their names from global sanctions lists in exchange for peace.

"There are about 200, more will be joining soon and they will be here for training and support". The Taliban's cease-fire is expected to run from June 15 to June 17.

Star studded affair for 2018 SWC opening ceremony
Easily one of the teams included in this conversation is Colombia. The Brazilian squad will hold a public training on June 12.

Last month, eight people were killed and 45 were wounded in a bomb attack on Ramadan night-time cricket tournament.

According to Stoltenberg, the announcement of the ceasefire can be a step towards Afghan-led and Afghan-owned peace talks.

The Taliban, which announced their cease-fire after the Afghan government, would not say if it was a direct response to the Afghan government's action.

The Helmand Peace March's strength caught both the government and the Taliban off-guard. "But if the mujahideen are attacked we will strongly defend [ourselves]".

But by the intractably violent standards of Afghanistan, the Taliban's first cease-fire pledge was cause for hope, and the timing seemed to present an opening for talks to prolong the break in hostilities.

Mualvi Mir Hassain Shah Naseri, talking on behalf of Ulema Council, said that the council supported the ceasefire announced by the Taliban and the government and wanted lasting peace in the country.

Despite more aggressive military operations against the Taliban under a new approach adopted by U.S. President Donald Trump past year, the Taliban still hold large swaths of the country.

Like this: