Published: Sun, May 27, 2018
People | By Leon Thompson

Search Continues For Missing Boy In Upstate New York

Search Continues For Missing Boy In Upstate New York

He has admitted to burying the woman but not killing her, Wayne County Sheriff Barry Virts said.

An Amber Alert was issued Friday for a toddler officials say was abducted in Wayne County two days prior and may be in "imminent danger".

Owen has not been found.

With 165 searchers out looking on Saturday, dozens more than Friday, and the search continues to be hard, not only due to the heat and humidity, but because of the dense vegetation those volunteers are trying to forge through, launching a helicopter Friday in an effort to help. If their efforts remain unsuccessful, the search will begin again on Sunday.

Hidalgo-Calderon's mom Estela issued a statement after her daughter's body was found.

Update (12:34 p.m.) Authorities say that Owen was possibly last seen with Ebavardo Gutierrez Reyes on or about May 16. Trail camera footage showed Reyes moving "in and out of the woods", carrying a shovel, over a five-hour period on May 17, Virts said.

Real Madrid wins Champions League final 3-1
It is pathetic that almost 1,000 supporters have been left stranded ahead of the biggest football game many of them will remember. Whilst we were able to use one of the slots, the final slot was on a different date, and for 3 nights instead of one night.

Reyes was being held on $25,000 bail in the Wayne County Jail pending a court appearance May 29. He is no longer being interviewed by police. Virts said he is working with authorities in Mexico, where Reyes is from, to learn more about him and if he has a criminal record.

Reyes says that he helped hide the body, but did not kill Selena.

Cellphones all over the North Country lit up Friday morning with an Amber Alert.

Described by family as a "hard-working" young mother from Guatemala, Selena Hidalgo-Calderon has been in the USA since November 2016.

Hidalgo-Calderon was reportedly from Guatemala - with the risk of being deported - and was in the process of applying for asylum, according to what Rebecca Fuentes of the Workers' Center of Central New York told the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. The two typically communicate at the end of each day, Calderon said. The 18-year-old, who worked on the farm, had been missing for a week. Deputies say he could face further charges after the results of a autopsy are released. At this time, he hasn't been charged with her death however.

Like this: