Published: Sun, January 14, 2018
People | By Leon Thompson

Missile threat alert in Hawaii is false alarm, rattles nerves

Missile threat alert in Hawaii is false alarm, rattles nerves

He added that officials will investigate and ensure a similar error never happens again.

Screenshots of iPhone emergency alerts filled social media, as people on the island tried to figure out what was happening. One is the Emergency Management at the city, the other one is in the Birkhimer Tunnel on the state side of civil defense.

People in Hawaii appeared to receive an erroneous emergency alert on their smartphones Saturday warning them of a "ballistic missile threat inbound" - and stressing it is was "not a drill".

At the PGA Tour's Sony Open on Oahu, Waialae Country Club was largely empty and players were still a few hours from arriving when the alert showed up. "Haha glad to know we'll all be safe", Thomas, the defending champion and world number four, tweeted at the same time as Spaun.

Charles Howell III was among players staying at the Kahala Hotel on the golf course.

"I was pretty much just playing on my phone at the time when I got the alert", said Bray. "There is nothing we can do with a missile", Sterling said.

Hawaiian officials in November said they were reinstating raid warning sirens because of rising tensions between the US and North Korea.

"People got this message on their phones and they thought 15 minutes, 'We've got 15 minutes before me and my family could be dead", she said.

The clearest explanation we've received so far is that this was "human error" and that the state was in the midst of conducting a drill when the error was made.

House Speaker Scott Saiki said the system Hawaii residents have been told to rely on failed miserably.

Major League Soccer is creating its own Federation Internationale de Football Association eSports league
The Major League Soccer has 23 teams - 20 from United States and 3 from Canada but only 19 teams are taking part in the eMLS Cup. MLS setting up a competitive gaming league follows the lead of a number of soccer leagues that have already done the same.

At a federal level, FCC Chariman Ajit Pai also promised "a full investigation into the false emergency alert".

Spokesman Richard Repoza says the agency is trying to determine what happened.

Though the alert was quickly deemed false, many Hawaii residents heeded the nerve-wracking warning, taking refuge in hallways and basements.

The alert was also broadcasted on television in Hawaii.

FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr said in a statement Saturday afternoon that the FCC would fully investigate why the initial message was sent and was left uncorrected for almost 40 minutes, sending residents into a panic.

U.S. Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) said on Twitter that the alert was "a false alarm based on a human error".

The missile threat was a false alarm.

"For the most part it occurs flawlessly", Ige said.

The Hawaii EMA's Administrator Vern Miyagi told CNN that he was headed to the agency's center to find out why the false alert was sent out. "I have confirmed with officials there is no incoming missile".

Like this: